Mason & Hanger, A Day & Zimmermann Company
Mason & Hanger, a Day & Zimmermann company, is dedicated to providing architectural and engineering (A/E) services specializing in the worldwide design of secure, mission-driven facilities. For nearly two centuries, Mason & Hanger has been a trusted partner of the U.S. Department of Defense (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, National Guard – active and reserves), Department of Homeland Security, Department of State, Department of Energy, and other government agencies critical to the U.S. National Security Mission. Mason & Hanger has provided best-in-class architectural and engineering (A/E) services to the federal government on thousands of projects in 165 countries. Mason & Hanger has ranked nationally among the Top 15 A/E firms in Government Building Design.
We expect this position will be included in the recent federal Executive Order (EO) and subsequent guidance, requiring federal contractors and employers with more than 100 employees to implement a vaccine mandate; therefore, it is expected that anyone hired into this position will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencement of employment in accordance with the EO and any subsequent guidance, unless an accommodation is legally required.
A Military Master Planner is needed for a full-time, staff opportunity with Mason & Hanger. The selected candidate can reside in Glen Allen, VA and/or Virginia Beach, VA and/or Lexington, KY, and/or Huntsville, AL.
The Military Master Planner will lead and manage a wide range of planning task orders to include military and non-military projects. Independently develops plans, designs, specifications, and technical solutions executing planning projects within the department.
The Military Master Planner directs and coordinates work on a wide range of master planning task orders to include Master Plans, Area and Installation Development Plans, Vision Plans, Real Property Master Planning, Land Use Studies, Infrastructure Requirements Analyses, Planning Charrettes, Construction Programming and similar planning work for the Department of Defense, Federal, State and local governments, and private sector clients.
The work you’ll be doing:
- Prepare and negotiate task orders with the client; schedule and coordinate the work, lead planning teams in successfully executing the task order.
- Lead planning charrettes, working with DoD clients, and presenting to and engaging with military leadership.
- Team on Space Utilization Studies, Facility Utilization Studies (FUS), and Facility Condition Assessments utilizing various data collection platforms
- Support Business Development and technical staff as required for proposals and plan development.
- Train, develop/mentor junior staff on appropriate government data systems, processes, regulations, and planning best practices
- Develop new clients and develop relationships with our existing clients to secure more military planning work. These include various Corps of Engineers Districts, the National Guard, the Army Reserve, and Navy Facilities (NAVFAC) organizations.
- Complying with data protection principles while handling personal, protected, and/or Covered Defense Information on behalf of Day & Zimmermann. Data Handlers should be trained to follow documented policies, standard operating procedures, and security practices associated with protecting trusted employee and customer data
What you need to bring to the table:
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree in Landscape Architecture, Architecture, or Planning from an accredited school.
- 8-12 years of experience
- Active pursuit of LEED AP BD+C, American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification preferred
- Registered Landscape Architect or Architect
- Ability to obtain a security clearance
- Great attitude and team player
- Successful completion of the background screening process
The big picture – top skills you should possess:
- Expert knowledge of military or non-military master planning. Capabilities include Military Projects: Master Plans, Area and Installation Development Plans, Vision Plans, Real Property Master Planning, Land Use Studies, Requirements Analyses, DD1391 Charrettes, and similar planning work for current and future military clients.
- Non-Military Projects: Performs urban design and site planning, provides technical assistance on topics related to planning/zoning/environmental concerns, attends planning commission meetings, and meets with government publications.
- Exercise extensive knowledge of DoD UFC 2-100-01 "Installation Master Planning" in optimizing life cycle management, urban planning, and environmental planning. Demonstrates skills in master planning concepts and principles, real property management, planning charrette facilitation, and sustainable planning concepts in the execution of work.
- Possess specialized experience to include all phases of the master planning process; development of community master plans; evaluation of planning products and services to assure compliance; technical writing that translates planning practices into publications; utilization of master planning visualization practices, graphics, and geospatial related requirements; and/or implementation of best practices for master planning, urban planning, community planning and sustainable development that includes integrated energy, water, and waste conservation, and coordination with local communities.
- Experience with cost estimates prepared using DoD unit cost factors and parametric cost estimating software (e.g., PACES, SUCCESS, RSMeans). DD Form 1391 supporting documentation, including site investigation reports (SIRs), concept studies, equipment lists, LEED checklists, project readiness index
- (PRI) checklists, environmental checklists, and site plans. Knowledge of the Navy’s MILCON Team Planning and Programming Process (MTP3), DoD planning regulations and standards, and related siting considerations for military planning (e.g., explosives safety, environmental requirements).
- Must build trusted relationships with the department through maintaining ownership for assigned work and delivering efficient and high-quality results. Expected to be a proactive learner, responsible to seek out support when needed, identify expectations, check own work output against quality expectations, and pursue opportunities to grow technical capabilities.
- Maintains professional humility and respect mentoring and in partnership with all team members in pursuit of overall project success. Is expected to know their technical limitations and proactively seek out support where needed while maintaining a leadership role for the project.
- Ability to take direction and guidance from more senior staff within the department.
- Data privacy, information security, and policy compliance.
Must be able to perform the following physical and mental tasks:
- Visual acuity (e.g., needed to prepare and analyze data, to transcribe documents, to view a computer, to read, to inspect objects, to operate machinery.
- The repetitive motion of any part of the body.
- Capacity to think, concentrate and focus for an extended period.
- Ability to read complex documents in the English language.
- Capacity to reason and make sound decisions.
- Ability to write complex documents in the English language.
- Capacity to express thoughts orally.
What’s in it for you?
Candidates that are hired will receive a competitive base salary, 401k, a comprehensive medical/dental/vision plan, parental leave, and paid time off.
What Are You Waiting For? Apply Now! Recruiter: Brenda Preciado
Diversity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity
Day & Zimmermann is committed to maintaining an inclusive workforce, where employees are hired, retained, compensated, and promoted based on their contributions to our Company. Our collective strength is rooted in over 110 years of diverse employees and businesses, commitment to success, and delivery on promises made. Federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity laws prohibit employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship status, veteran status, and disability status. Day & Zimmermann is committed to providing an equal opportunity work environment in full compliance with these laws. If you are an individual with a disability and you require accommodation in the application process, please email
email@example.com, and please specify which position you are interested in, including job title and location.
Location/Region: Glen Allen,VA